Local Government and Authorities
Our relationship with many Local Governments has provided the HR Legal team with a detailed understanding of the requirements of sector.
We address the inter-relationship between elected councillors, executives, staff and the broader community to provide strategic solutions to HR and safety legal issues to enable you to focus on running the council.
We have provided advice and support to many Local Governments, both rural and metro, from staff performance and conduct issues to workplace training to industrial relations.
Some recent issues we have advised on include:
- Contracts of employment, including for executives
- Staff performance and conduct issues, including advice regarding termination of employment
- Conducting investigations into bullying claims, including by Councillors
- Restructuring and consultation obligations, including arising from rate capping
- Enterprise Agreement negotiations
- Disputes with the ASU
- Representation in the Fair Work Commission
- OH&S obligations
- Critical incident management
- Defence in WorkSafe enforcement action.