A workplace investigation can be a key aspect of managing inappropriate behaviour and the complaint handling process. However, conducting investigations is one of the most complex HR tasks for any organisation and every investigation is different.
This training course covers:
- Formal vs informal processes for managing bullying, harassment and discrimination, and misconduct
- The pros and cons of conducting a workplace investigation
- The difference between “internal”, “external” and “independent” investigations
- How to conduct a workplace investigation, including:
- Immediate actions to take after deciding to proceed with an investigation
- Gathering evidence
- Conducting interviews with witnesses and the respondent
- Preparing a report into findings
- Legal risks
- Considerations when providing recommendations
- Additional matters and legal risks to consider before, during and after a workplace investigation
- Mock investigation to practically apply investigations skills
Training Course Duration
It is imperative that HR professionals understand when workplace investigations are required and how to conduct them. Getting it wrong can give rise to a multitude of legal and commercial risks, including unfair dismissal, general protections or WorkCover stress claims.
After this training course your HR team should be able to:
- Discuss the benefits and negatives of conducting a workplace investigation
- Explain the circumstances in which an investigation should be conducted
- Explain the factors to consider when determining whether an investigation should be “internal”, “external” or “independent”
- Explain the key elements of a “procedurally fair” investigation process
- Demonstrate how to conduct an interview as part of a workplace investigation
- Discuss how to deal with uncooperative witnesses
- Discuss maintaining confidentiality
- Discuss how to find and implement a workable resolution from the investigator’s report
- Explain how legal risks may arise and how to manage them, both during the investigation and when implementing the solution.
Developed and delivered by leading workplace lawyers who regularly conduct workplace investigations, this training provides a unique learning experience for HR Professionals or managers who may be required to conduct workplace investigations.
This training course involves a mock investigation to provide participants with practical experience in conducting an investigation.
We use handouts, case studies and allow time for questions and problem solving to ensure participants gain practical knowledge.