Independent Contractors Arrangements
Contractor arrangements are often adopted because of the freedoms they provide businesses in their hiring practices.
However, cases continue to show the costs involved when such arrangements are improperly introduced, including penalties for sham contracting, back-payments of leave and other Award entitlements, and superannuation, amongst other matters. The laws relating to independent contractors are constantly changing.
This training course covers:
- When a worker is really an employee for minimum wage, unfair dismissal, leave, and other employment related entitlements
- Superannuation, PAYG and payroll tax considerations
- Guidance to ensure the business meets its health and safety obligations to independent contractors
- Sham contracting and unfair contracting
- Recent approaches taken by the Courts and Fair Work Ombudsman
Training Course Duration
Understanding the legal risks and parameters around independent contracting will assist you to implement legally compliant arrangements and fulfil your business’ legal obligations.
After this training course you should be able to:
- Explain how to determine whether a worker is an independent contractor or an employee and the consequences of getting it wrong
- Explain how independent contractor arrangements interact with superannuation, PAYG and payroll tax
- Explain the health and safety obligations of a business to independent contractors
- Discuss the legal risks involved in sham contracting and unfair contracting
- Identify any potential issues with current independent contractor arrangements in your business
This training course will be delivered at HR Legal’s offices in South Yarra. Food and beverages will be provided for participants.
We use handouts, case studies and allow time for questions, storytelling, problem solving and networking with other participants to ensure you gain practical knowledge.
If you would like to train your full HR and/or management team, we can tailor this training to your business and deliver it in-house. Please fill out the enquiry form and we will contact you to discuss how we can deliver this training in your business to achieve your objectives.